Monterosso is located in the center of a small natural bay, to the east of Punta Mesco.
To the west of the original village (the village dates back to 1056, “Monte Russo”), beyond the hill of the Capuchins and all along the sand beach, lies the more recent expansion of Monterosso: Fegina.
Fegina is reachable through a tunnel in a few steps. The train station is located in Fegina and the beaches are relatively larger, compared to the other villages of Cinque Terre.
Whole of the municipality is part of the Cinque Terre National Park and the sea around the coast falls within the protected marine area of Cinque Terre.
Vernazza is one of the 5 renowned Cinque Terre: the town is part of the circuit of "The most beautiful villages of Italy”. Starting from the west, it is the second village of the Cinque Terre, nestled in a bay between the towns of Monterosso and Corniglia, its fraction. The area is also characterized by typical terraces for the cultivation of the vine, a typical style of cultivation, made by man over the centuries and which, according to estimations, seems to have developed more than 7000 kilometers of dry stone walls.
The Church of St. Margaret of Antioch is dedicated to the patron Saint of the town and it’s an important proof of Antelami school (italian architect), started in 1318. It has three naves perfectly preserved in the interior, with the entrance on the side of the apse and the altar oriented to the east. The tower is set on the apse and has got an octagonal shape, ending with an ogival dome.
Corniglia is located in a central position, compared to the other villages of the Cinque Terre and it differs from the other villages as it is the only borough that is not directly facing the sea, but sits on top of a hill about three hundred feet high, surrounded by vineyards on the characteristic terraces. To reach Corniglia from the train station one has to climb a long flight of steps, called Lardarina, consisting of 33 flights with 382 steps, or take the road that also leads to the railway.
Manarola & Riomaggiore
Manarola and Riomaggiore are the last two villages of the Cinque Terre. Both of them have got the typical colorful houses, which face, one behind the other, on the main streets. The village of Manarola climbs on a rocky ridge, jutting out into the sea, resulting in a tangle of narrow ”caruggi” (very tiny streets), which run parallel across multiple levels connected by irregular stairs. The village of Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the five, is also accessible by sea, by private boats or using the line of Cinque Terre’s ferrying. Infact, during the tourist season (from April to early November) a ferry service connects Riomaggiore to Monterosso and Porto Venere and to La Spezia and Lerici as well. The part between Manarola and Riomaggiore of the famous Blue Trail (Sentiero Azzurro) that runs through all 5 villages, is called “Via dell’Amore”.